The trouble with simple living is that, though it can be joyful, rich, and creative, it isn't simple. ~Doris Janzen Longacre


The best way to bring a sustainable change in the world around me is by bringing the change in myself



Friday, May 26, 2017

Winter has arrived in New Zealand

Not officially yet but for me winter is here with full force. Maybe not like in Canada I gather where our house guests come from. Tales of having to dig yourself out just to get to your car. landing on your backside more times than she could count. Fishing though a hole on a iced up river, sounds like they enjoyed that experience. But it was all new experiences for them too No way that is not for me. We are childen of Africa and can't cope with that sort of weather. I like the sun to warm up my old bones, in that way I would do well as a cat basking in a sunny patch somewhere. I like working in my garden, my retreat from this world. I planted a summer veggie garden cause that is what I know, will grow for me. and it did grow and produce well. My fight with the monster weeds of all sorts was worth it. Beans were cut and frozen, some made it into bottles. Zucchini grew into monsters which I grated , drain the excess moisture and froze to use in fritters and slices and muffins during the cold winter. Potatoes were used fresh in our meals cooked either whole and ate with butter or in a stew. nothing nicer than fresh potatoes. and spinach pie, which we had a lot of during the summer. Yumm I regret not having a bigger veggie garden but will add beds during the winter and get them ready for spring planting. Learnt gardening here is different than what I am used too. Still got carrots and spinach in grow tunnels, which I bought at our local clearance shed. Great to protect them from the frost and also the chooks who had a feast on them before I closed the beds up with the tunnels.Motto for next growing season : get the seed in early for that I need a small green house or mini hot house. Get organized!!! sadly my kumera and sweet potato lost all their leaves due to frost, not quite sure if I will try dig them up and see what I got if anything. so that is the garden news Happy Gardening to our American friends xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment