The trouble with simple living is that, though it can be joyful, rich, and creative, it isn't simple. ~Doris Janzen Longacre


The best way to bring a sustainable change in the world around me is by bringing the change in myself



Friday, May 29, 2009

Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree .....

Martin Luther



Although I have not planted an apple tree yet, I have planted a few fruit trees that we love to eat. So heres a list of them so far

4 brown figs

5 prickley pears

1 quince

1 plum

3 peaches

1 Apricot

1 pear

Tropical fruit trees and vines

1 pineapple guava

1 guava

a variety of bananas (cavandish, drakka & ladyfinger)

2 paw paw

3 mangoes

1 passionfruit

1 loquart






Citrus trees

2 imperial nanderines

2 orange

2 lemonade



Nut trees

1 macadania

still looking for a few pecan nuts trees

2 Bunya pine trees (they are great roasted)



Fruit tree and vine Wishlist

Pecan nuts

Kiwi fruit

more citrus (grapefruit, oranges, lemons and limes)

Grapes

Berries

Persimmon tree


Motherday I received a voucher for the nursery near us , so I am wondering if I should buy that persimmon tree I have been eyeing out for sometime now. They take 8 years before bearing fruit. So far the trees are doing well and we hope to have a constant supply of fruit for perserving, making fresh juices and eating fresh in fruit salads.



Recipe for Stewing Guavas .... great for preserving, or eating cold with ice cream .



a large quantity of guavas

1/2 cup sugar for 1 kg guavas peeled and halved

a little water as fruit will make it's own juice.



Peel and slice the fruit in half, place in a saucepan, pour over sugar. Best to let it stand for a while .... add a little water. Cook on a med heat until it makes it's own juice, increase heat for a further 5/10 mins of until just tender. Place in bottles to preserve with the liquid and seal. Or serve cold with custard or ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment