The trouble with simple living is that, though it can be joyful, rich, and creative, it isn't simple. ~Doris Janzen Longacre


The best way to bring a sustainable change in the world around me is by bringing the change in myself



Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Finally we bought a little parcel of land we can call home oneday, it's only 2.75 acres but it's ours. Lavenderhill is slowly been turned from a lantana invested grazing property to our dream property. This journey will take us through all stages of clearing, putting up fences, planting trees and building a home for ourselves. Finally living the dream of self sufficency that we hope to achieve oneday.









Gardening is very important to me, not just for growing food but food for my soul. We have spend many a afternoon wondering in botanical gardens. When the kids were little feeding the ducks then having a picnic under the trees.

About ourselves:

We are children of Africa who have made Australia home about 15 years ago. George and myself btw I am Rina, have been married for nearly 30 years, have 3 children and 2 grandchildren. Like any Grandma my two little boys mean the world to me and hope they will be spending many school holidays with us.

Some of my best childhood memories was spent staying with my own Grandmother. They were sheep farmers but after Grandpa passed away, Ouma sold and moved into town. It was here that I remember all the lessons she taught me the old way..... Sadly Ouma passed away when I was about 13 years old..... always wonder what she would have said if she saw how far we have come. Definately one of my role models.

My Hobbies:

I love to give most crafts a go but knitting and crochet is still my favorite. Other craft I have done are cross stitching, stitchery, patchwork, scrapbooking, reading, sketching and painting. Gardening is not just hobby but a way of life, part of my everyday thing just like cooking a meal to feed the body, so is gardening to feed the soul.

Gardening in Pumpkin Patch:

My aim is to feed my family as much fresh produce, grown without using chemicals or poisonous sprays. Dear Husband has help build many a raised bed, pergola or chook house, sometime grumbling because my way works better than his. But it's just that I got this picture in my head.... visions of pumpkin vines, sweet potatoes, rock melons and corn, throw in a few sunflower seeds in those beautiful 3x3 mtr raised veggie boxes. Had a good crop last year, corn were a little misformed but very sweet.



Some sweet potatoes,

passion fruit and

potkin pumpkin

I harvested this year.








Pumpkins were great until the horses dug their teeth into them, did manage to save a few. And heaps of sweet potatoes. This pumpkin was hidden under a heap of vines and weeds, maybe that explains is weird colour. This year we have had heaps of rain so unlike last year we should have a good yield.




Next visit I plan to post photo's and tell you all about planting fruit trees and more.
Thank you letting me into your home until next time
Rina

No comments:

Post a Comment